Saturday, April 28, 2012

There is life..... outside Cambridge.

Today I was invited to visit friends out in the villages. I spend most of my life in Cambridge, living on an estate, surrounded by neighbours I don't know, 24 hour shopping, pubs within a stones throw distance on at least 3 sides... Traffic and aircraft noises an almost constant, dodging cars on my bicycle, busses, busses, busses everywhere - tourists, students...

So 'tis nice on occasion to escape to paradise. (The grass is always green tother side of the bridge.)

I declined the offer of a lift. There is a certain beauty and satisfaction in getting there on my own. In past years I may have cycled, instead opting for the train and armed with instructions starting with: "Leave the station heading accross the fields."
I just love open space, like nectar to this city dweller.

Accross the field, under a road, along the path, follow through to the church.
A nice wild and damp day, brilliantly fresh - just right for walking. Maybe a 20 minute walk to the house.

The sketch may be a little wild, but
wild countryside can be like that!

My host however, looking out of his window decided really I should have a luxurious ride in a warm and dry car, but because I left accross the fields, not via the carpark, he did not catch up with me till I was just a minute from the house.

What wonderful relaxing space this house turned out to be, amazing hosts and good company. A huge thank you to Brian, Janet, Jenny, David, Movern and Sumaya, great afternoon. Only sorry I could not stay longer to complete the feast.

Oh and Brian, I did appreciate the lift back to the train.

No comments: